"Foster, Perpetuate and Expand Archery & Bow Hunting in Oregon"
About Oregon Bow Hunters
Who Are We?
The Oregon Bow Hunters got its start during a meeting of the Pope Young Archers in 1948! It was decided to call the group the Oregon Field Archery Association, but in 1952 the name was changed to Oregon Bow Hunters. The Oregon Bow Hunters is a non-profit organization whose goal is to Foster, Perpetuate and Expand Archery & Bow Hunting in Oregon. We maintain an affiliation with the National Field Archery Association and have a representative on the NFAA board of directors.
What Have We Done?
- Support and sponsor 4H Youth Archery
- Sponsor for the National Blacktail Program
- Instrumental in establishing the first bow season in Oregon in mid-1930's
- Instrumental in making the compound bow legal in Oregon in 1974
- Introduced bow hunter education to the State of Oregon in 1976
- Instrumental in making the whole state of Oregon open to bow hunting in 1978
- Established indoor mail-in tournaments during the winter months
- Established a "20" pin award system for the Field Tournament
- Recognized by State agencies as the bow hunter's voice in Oregon
- Our Big Game Committee works with the Oregon State Game Commission to provide Oregon bow hunters with some of the best hunting in the United States
- Assist the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife in establishing a bow hunter education program
- Support the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife with the Access & Habitat Program
- Defeated numerous attempts to shorten Oregon archery seasons
- Prevented attempts to make elk and deer bow hunting "draw-only" hunts
- Support local radio stations and archery related outdoor activities
- Support local philanthropic programs that fulfill the wishes of terminally ill children
- Support numerous youth-oriented activities including National Archery in Schools Program
- Support volunteer outdoor programs to assist wildlife management
What Do We Offer?
- Our bi-monthly publication, theOregon Bowhunter,features bow hunting stories, success photos, product reviews, Oregon Bow Hunter activities, and more.
- Representation at the Oregon Game Commissioner's meetings, the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife meetings and at the legislature at the Oregon capitol in Salem.
- In addition to protecting your hunting rights, Oregon Bow Hunters hosts three shooting tournaments annually. An NFAA indoor, an NFAA field tournament and a un-marked 3-D tournament.
- Host an annual bow hunters convention with an awards banquet
- Membership in the Oregon Bow Hunters offers you the opportunity to get involved in the ability to maintain your bow hunting privileges in Oregon. Bow hunting is a privilege, not a constitutional right, and your voice is needed!
I'd Like to Join!
We would love to have you as a member of the Oregon Bow Hunters!
This link will take you to our
Membership Application Page, where you can find out more about a membership in OBH!